Thursday 8 February 2018

Grivel G14 crampon Step In Heel Clip replacement?


I had a problem with my Grivel G14 right crampon, they are a few years old and show a few scars. The G14 is the real workhorse for steep snow and ice, and I love em to bits literally… the Black plastic threaded adjuster block that sits within the Yellow heel clip clamp is worn, at some point I’ve over tightened the heel tensioning screw and the steel heel clip rod has pulled through and passed the locating rebate on the threaded Black block, I managed to re locate it but I think it’s weakened it.

I’ve always checked the fit to the boot before setting off but having both a pair of B3’s & stiff B2’s ready in the boot of the car, depending on the conditions i tend to swap boots at the last minute. It’s easy to misjudge the amount of physical effort you need to lock the heel clips, especially if it’s freezing cold and your wearing thick gloves, or occasionally a bit of ice gets trapped between the boot heel and the crampon. Crampons are expensive but thankfully spare parts are available and those nice folks at Needle Sports were able to assist with a replacement heel assembly, check out https://www.needlesports.com/2650/crampon-accessories--and--spares.aspx
The only difference I have noticed is that the steel rod on the available replacement kit is bent rather than straight, this means that on the most accommodating volume setting they just about fit my B3 Nep Ex’s there is very little extra adjustment available. As I said this shouldn’t be a problem as I have few other boots with a greater heel height. The solution I would guess if need be, would be to straighten the steel heel bracket in a vice.

Overall advice would be check you’re not exerting too much effort to lock the heels, thoroughly clear away any compacted snow/ice between the heel and crampon, fitting should need just enough pressure to hold the heel in position, but not so loose that there is a chance that the clip jumps out of the heel slot under compression. 
Happy trails....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ogwen - Y Garn, Elidir Fawr & Y Llymllwyd Ridge

Route -  Ogwen - Y Garn, Elidir Fawr & Y Llymllwyd Ridge Another classic mountain walk, taking in 2 of the Welsh 3,000 peaks, with...